Statistics Tutoring Specialist
Walden’s Office of Academic Support and Instructional Services (OASIS) provides instruction to help students develop academic and professional skills for success. OASIS houses seven teams: the Walden Library; Content Management; Content Operations; Instructional Services, and Undergraduate, Graduate, and Doctoral Academic Support. Following Walden’s Success by Degree framework, we align our instructional support with university-wide, degree-level learning outcomes. Everyone in OASIS collaborates with teams across Walden to ensure we connect students with flexible, seamless instructional support where and when they need it.
Across OASIS, we offer a variety of instructional services and resources to support students’ skill development at all stages of their studies. The Statistics Tutoring Specialist plays a pivotal role by offering direct student support as the content lead and tutoring coach of OASIS’ team of statistics peer tutors and opportunities for collaboration with other teams in OASIS and across Walden related both to data analysis and statistics support. The peer tutors are Walden graduate students who hold synchronous online tutoring appointments with students seeking help in their Walden statistics courses. In addition, this position will support various OASIS instructional services, such as degree-level resource development, doctoral residency presentations, and instructional design initiatives. In collaboration with the other OASIS teams, the OASIS Instructional Services Team creates varied interactive experiences that meet students where they are and encourage critical thinking, active engagement, and the application of knowledge inside and outside the classroom. This role will provide excellent opportunities to strengthen instructional coaching, team building, resource development, and presentation skills. Key traits sought for the person in the Statistics Tutoring Specialist role include being creative, patient, organized, and caring. The person in this role will bring heart to their work with students and with colleagues. This role will report to the Manager of Graduate Assistant Strategy and Support in OASIS and requires a flexible full-time schedule that includes some evenings and weekends.
Walden’s Values and Mission
Walden University provides a diverse community of career professionals with the opportunity to transform themselves as scholar-practitioners to affect positive social change. Walden’s commitment to social change began with our founders. Students, faculty, and staff choose Walden because of that commitment, and we keep our values in mind with every action we take.
We are a teaching institution. Online higher education is our specialty, and we emerged early on as pioneers in this field. We are committed to inclusive teaching and learning in all our academic endeavors with intentionality, using a framework of shared accountability to enhance and advance the equitable health and wellbeing of communities, systems, and organizations. The philosophy of our institution is not sink or swim: We meet students where they are and accompany them as they strive to move forward on their academic pathways.
Walden is a broad-access institution. We teach the students we have, nurture their curiosity, and support them as they develop academic skills to reach their degree goals. Walden serves a majority female-identifying student body, with over 40% African American and Black students and over 40% White students, as well as over 15% Latino/a/x and Asian and Pacific Islander students. We proudly embrace our LGBTQIAA+, (dis)abled, and first-generation college students, working parents and caregivers, as well as military veterans, and the unique cultural, linguistic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds of all our students. Most importantly, we acknowledge the impact of intersectionality on the lives of our students, and we strive to provide community, support, and rigor tailored to the individuals that are our students.
The Statistics Tutoring Specialist will perform day-to-day operations in OASIS related to statistics peer tutoring. Duties include:
- Designing, developing, and maintaining course-based statistics instructional resources for students across all degree levels.
- Tutoring students in statistics and SPSS in synchronous, one-on-one and group sessions.
- Leading statistics peer tutor training, regular meetings, and ongoing professional development.
- Communicating well with students by establishing online rapport and maintaining a friendly, helpful, patient, and interested attitude and demeanor.
- Assisting students in developing their skills by asking questions, helping them understand components of statistics and academic assignments, giving constructive feedback, and referring students to appropriate instructional resources in and beyond OASIS.
- Keeping accurate records showing student contact and progress.
- Contributing to building a positive team culture and a healthy workplace in OASIS and beyond.
- Other duties as assigned.
Based on their experience, the Statistics Tutoring Specialist will provide instructional support as needed based on students’ needs and team priorities. Support can include:
- Designing engaging and effective instruction in audio, video, or self-paced tutorials.
- Leading and/or co-presenting live instructional sessions, including at online academic residencies required in some Walden doctoral programs, via Microsoft Teams, Zoom, or other platforms.
- Providing instruction in concert with OASIS priorities based on student needs.
The Statistics Tutoring Specialist also can join OASIS and/or university working groups, engage with university faculty, and participate in professional development opportunities.
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
REPORTS TO: Manager, Graduate Assistant Strategy and Support, Office of Academic Support and Instructional Services
Qualified candidates for this role will:
- Have a commitment to advocating for the learning and development needs of adult students earning their degrees in an online, distance-learning environment; experience in providing instructional support to students in online educational programs, preferred.
- Value working with individuals from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Have demonstrated expertise in advanced statistical concepts, tests, and tools and in using SPSS, Microsoft Excel, and other statistical software programs for data analysis.
- Have experience working on a team providing support to students in a university cocurricular instructional department; people management experience in that or related setting, preferred.
- Be flexible in adapting to new responsibilities, initiatives, and priorities based on students’ needs during the academic year and across degree programs.
- Value intellectual curiosity and creativity for staying current in statistics tutoring literature and trying new approaches in online academic support.
- Have strong collaboration, problem-solving, organizational, and communication skills.
- Have experience with learning management (e.g., Canvas, Brightspace), customer management (e.g., Banner, Salesforce), and/or data management (Power BI , Qualtrics) systems and virtual communication tools (Microsoft Teams, Zoom).
- Have experience training graduate assistant staff, preferred
- Have a master’s degree, with educational background and/or professional experience in statistics, research, and data analysis required; past or current doctoral program enrollment, completed doctoral degree, or experience teaching doctoral students, preferred.
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform the range of essential duties satisfactorily. Candidates will be evaluated, in part, based on capabilities related to the range of essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
In support of the pay transparency laws enacted across the country, the expected salary range for this position is between $47766.34 and $86253.75. Actual pay will be adjusted based on job-related factors permitted by law, such as experience and training; geographic location; licensure and certifications; market factors; departmental budgets; and responsibility. Our Talent Acquisition Team will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements. The position qualifies for the below benefits.
Adtalem offers a robust suite of benefits including:
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- 401k Retirement Program + 6% employer match
- Participation in Adtalem’s Flexible Time Off (FTO) Policy
- 12 Paid Holidays
For more information related to our benefits please visit: https://careers.adtalem.com/us/en/benefits.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!