Clinical Medicine Fellow - Sint Maarten
About American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC), an Adtalem Global Education institution, is committed to training tomorrow’s physicians through international learning experiences, a diverse learning community, and an emphasis on social accountability and engagement. AUC is one of the most established medical schools in the Caribbean and focuses on community collaboration to benefit the health and well-being of the local communities, while enhancing the student learning experience. With campuses located in Sint Maarten and the United Kingdom, AUC has graduated more than 7,500 students and is accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine.
Visit aucmed.edu for more information, and follow on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Opportunity at a Glance
Fellowship positions are designed ONLY for recent American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) M.D., who are awaiting residency placement who wish to extend their clinical medicine teaching, service-based learning, medical sciences and public health research portfolio.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
These positions will have direct responsibility to research or teaching, or a combination of both, as well as assignments to specific projects/initiatives.
Basic/Clinical Sciences– Reporting to the Lead/Faculty Member for program, or Representative.
NOTE: This is a non-faculty position located on the Sint Maarten campus.
Teaching Track Fellows: 70% of time focused on clinical medicine teaching; 30% on the basic sciences/clinical simulation/educational research
Research Track Fellows: 70% of time on community based clinical research; 30% on the clinical medicine teaching assignments
- Assist Clinical Medicine Course Director or Medical Sciences Semester Lead in providing a multi-modular, multi-semester offering including, but not limited to, topics dealing with communication skills, doctor-patient relationship, ethics, physical diagnosis, pathophysiology of disease, use of Harvey, SimMan and other simulators, use of standardized patients, new cases creations, public health/epidemiology etc.
- Conduct a research project, consistent with area of interest, under the supervision of a faculty mentor from a medical/clinical sciences area.
- Prepare presentations, related to the area of interest research, suitable for an abstract or oral presentation at a recognized medical meeting.
- Prepare article for publication in national or international medical journals
- Prepare and/or deliver lectures related to abstract and/or oral presentation referenced above. Lecture will be delivered in medical sciences course/module where research was conducted or to the students and other faculty.
- Prepare and present educational lectures to community.
- Facilitate small group learning in which physical examination and interviewing skills are developed.
- Serve as an evaluator in practical examinations in which students are directly observed as they interview and examine simulated patients.
- Facilitate small group discussions as appropriate.
- Interface with the course tutor in support of students receiving services.
- Participate in Service Based Learning activities and Community Outreach projects.
- Retain USMLE Step 3
Other duties for Teaching Track include:
- Serve as a resource and advocate for students on issues related to the NBME subject exams, USMLE-Step I, II process, ERAS registration and match process, the clinical portion of their training in the US or the UK.
- Serve as a resource and student advocate and may periodically provide group presentations and lead meetings,
- Actively participate in university life and contribute to/promote the mission of the University as determined by the assigned Clinical Medicine/Basic Sciences Mentor
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- A recent M.D. graduate of AUC; typically awaiting residency placement or an M.D. involved in residency training on an approved leave of absence.
- Must have completion of all clinical rotations
- Excellent English communication skills
- Strong teaching skills and experience or evidence of potential
- Desire for self-improvement
- Flexibility and ability to work well on a team
- Must demonstrate exceptional professionalism
- Ability to research queries independently
- Ability to work independently and ability to know when to take it to the team and/or manager
- Experience with some of AUC’s clinical education placements.
- Strong writing skill
- Familiarity working with medical students in clinical settings and familiarity with US evaluation mechanisms. (NBME, USMLE I and II)
- GPA, USMLE Scores, etc. will also be considered for selection
Please include cover letter with your application
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.