Student Success Coach
About Walden University
Walden University, an Adtalem Global Education institution, supports a diverse community of adult learners from across the U.S. and other countries, who seek to achieve their academic goals and make positive, lasting social change in their professions and communities. Walden is a B Corporation with a mission to provide a diverse community of career professionals who have the opportunity to transform themselves as scholar-practitioners to positively affect social change. Walden offers more than 100 online degree and certificate programs, for students pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral or certificate. Walden University has graduated more than 174,000 students and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Visit WaldenU.edu for more information, and follow on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Opportunity at a Glance
Academic Coaches serve as academic mentors, coaches, advisors, and ultimately are champions focused on the success of their students. Academic Coaches partner with students throughout the life of their academic program. They do not teach courses or competencies; rather they serve as students’ primary source of support to ensure each student is making meaningful progress in their program. Academic Coaches work weekly with their assigned students in overcoming learning obstacles and understanding program expectations. They partner closely with Faculty in the academic program to ensure each and every student is receiving the support and academic engagement required for success. Coaches reflect commitment to their students’ success in their daily work and maintain a deep personal interest and involvement in their students’ academic progress.
- Providing direct, comprehensive program guidance to assigned students (average of 100-120 students).
- Support students in their educational planning and progress from enrollment to graduation.
- Managing students' academic progress according to university policies.
- Helping to ensure students are frequently engaging with Faculty in any area where they require deeper academic support.
- Maintaining appropriate documentation of all academic engagements.
- Maintaining regular communication with students according to university protocol.Serve as an expert in their students' academic program details and are able to answer or to obtain answers to all the questions students may have about their programs.
- Advise students on time management and schedule benchmarks for the student to successfully master program concepts, knowledge, and skills.
- Help students identify their learning strengths and weaknesses and connect them with the necessary university resources to aid in success.
- Evaluate student learning styles, skills, deficiencies, and goals; identify appropriate learning resources for them to use; and facilitate their use of those resources.
- Evaluate student learning engagement and assessment readiness.
- Monitor student academic progress, communicating with each student weekly and intervene as necessary to assist those students having difficulty.
- Assist students in career planning within the boundaries of his or her expertise, and direct students to planning resources in other areas as appropriate.
- Coach students on University policies and procedures, program requirements and related academic matters.
- Work closely with Faculty to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, while supporting academic integrity and university policies.
- Cognitively guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success.
- Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to their new undergraduate or graduate lifestyle and building supportive personal environments and best practices to facilitate their student success.
- Empower students to maintain effective connections to the University and its online community of learners.
- Must be able to spend significant time working at a computer and on the phone using a headset.
- Must be flexible in work hours/schedule to accommodate student’s needs.
- Position may require work above and beyond 40 hours per week during peak periods.
- Master’s degree required
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience working in a service-oriented environment, teaching or university setting
- Must have a strong commitment to education and have the counseling or coaching skills required to effectively keep Competency Based Education (CBE) students on track
- Strong customer service orientation and excellent communication skills
- Strong problem solving and time management skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to successfully resolve student issues from request through resolution.
- Effectively work with multiple databases and student platforms
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with integrated technology systems and tools
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students from diverse backgrounds
- Creative & innovative, able to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.
- Familiarity with online learning and Internet technology a plus
In support of the pay transparency laws enacted across the country, the expected salary range for this position is between $18.15 and $32.86. Actual pay will be adjusted based on job-related factors permitted by law, such as experience and training; geographic location; licensure and certifications; market factors; departmental budgets; and responsibility. Our Talent Acquisition Team will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements. The position qualifies for the below benefits.
Adtalem offers a robust suite of benefits including:
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- 401k Retirement Program + 6% employer match
- 15 Days of Paid Vacation Days each Calendar Year
- 12 Paid Holidays + 2 floating holidays
For more information related to our benefits please visit: https://careers.adtalem.com/benefits.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.