Corporate Counsel- Higher Education - Remote
About Adtalem Global Education
Adtalem Global Education is a national leader in post-secondary education and leading provider of professional talent to the healthcare industry. Adtalem educates and empowers students with the knowledge and skills to become leaders in their communities and make a lasting impact on public health, well-being and beyond. Through equitable access to education, environments that nurture student success, and a focus on expanding and diversifying the talent pipeline in healthcare, Adtalem is building a brighter future for communities and the world.
Adtalem was named one of America’s Most Responsible Companies in 2021 and 2023 by Newsweek and Statista, and one of America’s Best Employers for Diversity in 2021 and 2022 by Forbes and Statista. Adtalem’s family of institutions has more than 300,000 alumni and 10,000 employees. Adtalem is the parent organization of American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Chamberlain University, Ross University School of Medicine, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine and Walden University.
Visit Adtalem.com for more information, and follow on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Adtalem believes in a culture of collaboration, creativity, and innovation, which thrives when we can work flexibly. Depending on your location, this role may be hybrid or remote.
- HYBRID – If you reside within 50 miles of Adtalem offices in Chicago, IL, Addison, IL, Columbia, MD, Minneapolis, MN, and Miramar, FL this role is hybrid, requiring office presence three days a week (Tue, Wed, Thu), with the rest of the workweek spent working from home.
- REMOTE – If you live over 50 miles from Adtalem offices in Chicago, IL, Addison, IL, Columbia, MD, Minneapolis, MN, and Miramar, FL, this role is remote. However, occasional office visits may be required based on business needs, with advance communication for such requests.
The Corporate Counsel will provide legal advice and service on a broad variety of subject matters arising from the operation of Title IV participating higher education institutions. S/he has a broad substantive skill-set, plus the interpersonal strengths, resourcefulness and drive to handle directly the wide ranging routine legal needs of the Company’s institutions as well as the Company’s home office functional departments. The Corporate Counsel will report to the Senior Corporate Counsel for Higher Education within the General Counsel’s Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide legal support for five Title IV institutions located in the United States and the Caribbean.
- Work collaboratively with appropriate institutional departments to provide legal research, writing, and analytical support, review domestic and international agreements, negotiate clinical affiliation agreements and draft strategic partnerships agreements.
- Advise on institutional contracting, regulatory compliance, academic research and other matters related to higher education issues including nursing and medical programs, and veterinary medicine, and other for-profit higher education issues.
- Review and draft policies, procedures, handbooks, catalogs and practices, including institutional policies related to Caribbean academic operations, and provide guidance on periodic updates to same to support institutional goals and manage risk.
- Provide guidance on student-related issues including student misconduct, academic dishonesty, student records, disability accommodations and academic policy requirements, and pre-litigation matters.
- Review, draft, and respond to student complaints with external agencies and/or from private legal counsel.
- Coordinate and monitor issues involving compliance with FERPA, HIPAA and student privacy protections, including subpoenas for education records.
- Create and deliver training on substantive legal topics.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- J. D. from an accredited law school.
- Must be licensed and an active member in good standing with a State bar within the United States.
- At least 5 years prior experience as an attorney practicing in a law firm or in-house legal setting.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly assess potential for risk and opportunity and identify alternative structures to minimize risk.
- Exemplary analytical and interpretation skills; strong legal research, writing, negotiation and organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with clients and business partners at all levels of the organization, including senior management.
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment and work independently and efficiently under time pressures and deadlines in a fast-paced environment with attention to detail.
- Possesses strong work ethic and customer service orientation and ability to prioritize conflicting demands from multiple business clients.
- Experience negotiating agreements in an academic setting.
- Experience providing legal counsel to clients on consumer protection laws.
In support of the pay transparency laws enacted across the country, the expected salary range for this position is between $97253.99 and $175761.85. Actual pay will be adjusted based on job-related factors permitted by law, such as experience and training; geographic location; licensure and certifications; market factors; departmental budgets; and responsibility. Our Talent Acquisition Team will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements. The position qualifies for the below benefits.
Adtalem offers a robust suite of benefits including:
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- 401k Retirement Program + 6% employer match
- Participation in Adtalem’s Flexible Time Off (FTO) Policy
- 12 Paid Holidays
For more information related to our benefits please visit: https://careers.adtalem.com/benefits.
You are also eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.