Biochemistry Faculty - Barbados
Ross University School of Medicine is a member of Adtalem Global Education (NYSE: ATGE), a global education provider headquartered in the United States. The organization's purpose is to empower students to achieve their goals, find success and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Founded in 1978, Ross is committed to educating a diverse group of skilled physicians to serve as leaders in the U.S. healthcare system. With more than 16,000 alumni, Ross is an important contributor to healthcare in North America. Students complete their foundational studies in Barbados, West Indies, before completing their clinical training in one of Ross’s affiliated teaching hospitals throughout the United States.
Opportunity at a Glance
Ross University School of Medicine, located in Bridgetown, Barbados, invites applications for a faculty post at Associate or Full Professor rank, to teach in Biochemistry. Preference will be given to applicants with experience teaching metabolism, nutrition and related topics. The academic center has facilities in the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Center, which is centrally located in the vibrant capital city of Bridgetown.
Ross University School of Medicine invites applications for a full-time faculty post at any rank in Biochemistry in the Department of Medical Foundations at their Bridgetown, Barbados campus.
Education is the primary focus of the faculty. The academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. Lectures and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year. Research opportunities exist, primarily in the area of medical education.
It is important to note that we are looking for dynamic, adaptive, flexible colleagues who are interested in teaching in a variety of ways, that are open to utilizing and embracing technology, interacting with students in small group learning formats and creating materials for teaching, which may include videos, digital workbooks, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
RUSM has a strong commitment to technology enhanced learning, utilizing learner centered classrooms with technology enhanced learning methods.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated familiarity with incorporating modern teaching tools and technology in their instruction
- Familiarity with electronic platforms used in academic content delivery and educational apps such as Turning Point, Doceri, NearPod, Socrates Kahoot and /or other learning applications.
- Familiarity with mobile learning, use of ipads in teaching, creation of ibooks would be an asset
- Prepare course material (handouts, practice questions, etc.)
- Deliver effective lectures and workshops
- Facilitate small group learning opportunities
- Work one on one with our highly motivated students
- Advise individuals or groups of students in academic matters and exercise professional judgment in referring students to appropriate personnel
- Cooperate with our Academy for Teaching and Learning in supporting improved student learning
- Write and review NBME-style questions for practice and assessments
- Prepare, administer and evaluate examinations to assess the development of student accomplishments
- Develop and improve instructional materials and teaching techniques
- Participate in on-going reviews and revision of curriculum, particularly with departmental colleagues
- Actively participate in relevant professional activities in order to improve both teaching and subject matter competence
- Serve on faculty committees as appointed or elected, and confer with advisory groups in order to modify course content
- Experience or ability to adapt to delivering interactive instruction from a remote location
- Initiates, facilitates, and moderates Case and Problem Based Learning discussions
- Participate in other activities as assigned by the Department Chair or Campus Dean
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all policies and standards
- PhD M.D. or other equivalent terminal degree with 3-5 years of relevant experience Required
- Strong teaching skills and experience or evidence of potential Required
- Excellent communication skills in English Required
- Desire for self-improvement
- Flexibility and ability to work well on a team
- Preference will be given to an applicant with proven teaching skills within the areas covered by the department
- Prior teaching experience at a North American or United Kingdom medical school preferred
- Knowledge of principles, methods, techniques, materials and equipment used in postsecondary teaching/medical education preferred
- Documented record of teaching effectiveness desirable
- Educational technology skills, including use of e-learning management systems, audience response systems, online examinations, videoconferencing, desirable
- Ability to demonstrate ongoing faculty development in medical education desirable
- Ability to demonstrate use of active teaching methods preferred
- Ability to initiate, complete, and present results of medical education research projects desirable
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to reside in Barbados
*Please include cover letter with your application.
Ross University offers a competitive benefits package, including relocation assistance, a retirement program, health care benefits, and a generous annual leave program. We also offer opportunities for professional development. We are proud to be an EEO/M/F/D/V employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.